What will I study in this field?

Starting with an intermediate background in Chinese, a wide range of graduate programs enable you to focus on Chinese Literature (Modern or Classical), Chinese Culture, or teaching Chinese. You can focus primarily in Chinese, or do comparative study between Chinese and any other languages.

What do area specialists do in the Army?

Most serve as Foreign Area Officers (Functional Area 48), serving as attachés, security assistance officers, staff advisors on military affairs and operations, and liaison officers to foreign militaries. Many will have the opportunity to teach Chinese at USMA.

What kinds of Master's Degree predominate in the field?

MA in East Asian Languages and Cultures, MA in Chinese Language and Literature, MA in East Asian Studies (with a focus in Chinese)

What kinds of professionals study in a typical Chinese program?

Most graduate students are studying toward a Ph.D. with the intent of teaching at the University level. Others may be studying for an MA, in order to serve with a government agency like the State Department or an Intelligence agency.

Top Chinese Programs for Army Officers:

  • Harvard University
  • Yale University
  • Cornell University
  • University of Texas at Austin
  • University of Hawaii
  • Columbia University
  • Gerogetown University
  • Indiana University
  • Middlebury
West Point faculty members have attended graduate school through the Army. As a result, they`re familiar with most American universities and would be happy to advise you on this discipline as you consider your options. Feel free to give them a call at: (845)938-2919. When you do so, make sure to identify yourself as a CSP-GRADSO holder.

Researching Potential Schools

A wealth of information regarding graduate institutions is available online. Click on any of the icons below for more information: