What is Comparative Politics?

Students of Comparative Politics (CP) examine and analyze the myriad of problems facing both developed and developing countries. Not only do students examine political institutions and policies, but they also explore the meanings and sources of change that may spring from the ballot box or the barrel of a rifle. CP students generally focus on the conduct of politics within regions, such as Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Russia and Eurasia, and Africa.

What do Comparative Politics Scholars do in the Army?

Graduates of Comparative Politics programs serve in a variety of command and staff positions from the tactical to the strategic levels in nearly all branches and functional areas of the Army. The issues that CP explores help officers understand the explanations for conflict and cooperation that impact the Range of Military Operations that the Army conducts. Besides serving largely in command and staff positions throughout the Army, officers with graduate school in CP serve as strategists (FA59), foreign area officers (F48), strategic intelligence officers (FA34), and rotating or permanent faculty members at USMA, the Army War College, and other military professional education schools.

What kinds of Degrees predominate in the field?

Most graduate students in CP pursue either masters degrees in international affairs or policy studies or doctoral degrees in policy or political science.

What kinds of professionals study in the typical programs?

In the typical masters program, one will find junior to mid-level professionals who have worked for and want to be future leaders in government, the UN system and IGO community, the NGO community, and international business. In doctoral programs, one will generally find future academics, government and business policy analysts, and think tank members.

Top Political Science Programs for Army Officers

Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Chicago, Johns Hopkins-SAIS, Tufts-Fletcher School, MIT, Georgetown, and Yale

West Point faculty members have attended graduate school through the Army. As a result, they`re familiar with most American universities and would be happy to advise you on this discipline as you consider your options. Feel free to give them a call at: (845) 938-2811. When you do so, make sure to identify yourself as a CSP-GRADSO holder.

Researching Potential Schools

A wealth of information regarding graduate institutions is available online. Click on any of the icons below for more information: